At the end of March, Marimekko’s autumn 2011 clothing collection hit the catwalk in Helsinki. In a huge industrial hall once used to build ships, designers Noora Niinikoski, Mika Piirainen and Mia Ohta strutted their talent in eclectic style. This season, they’d found inspiration in blogs, flea markets, Marimekko print archives and more.
As a fun surprise, the playful, pattern-rich designs in silk, cotton or wool were modeled by ordinary people. Here’s what the models were saying (below photos).
1) Rosa: “What an experience! I loved the collection – especially Jenni Rope’s pattern. Wonderful brushstrokes, lots of nuances, and a fascinating sense of asymmetry. Plus, strangle colors that somehow work together. My favorite piece of clothing was Vasara overalls.”
2) Terhi: “The show was really relaxed and I met a lot of interesting people. The mood was like Marimekko’s clothesL easy-to-approach and practical.”
3) Anna: “I feel tired, but happy. We were like a relay race team. In fact, we really came together as a team well and shared a bus from Marimekko’s headquarters to Herttoniemi to the show. It was easier to walk in front of an audience than in the rehearsal. My favorite piece was Noora Niinikoski’s Tivoli knitwear.”
4) Meri: “The show just happened! I liked how the audience was in a good mood. What I liked most was walking on the catwalk and the feedback you got after the show. I’m a little more relaxed now that the show is over. I’ll definitely buy something from this collection. I really like Noora Niinikoski’s Tivoli pattern and Jenni Rope’s print design.”
5) Laura: “This was a fun and exciting day. From the show, I remember best the Vasara overalls and the Maija dress made from the Muija print fabric. Marimekko has always been a part of my home. It’s a Finnish tradition.”
6) Natalia: “I have modeled before in school fashion shows. Now everything was more organized – we knew what we were supposed to do. The collection was super cool! The best ever. I got to get it.”
7) Veera: “A nice day! The best part was the show. The 70s –style pants made just for this show were adorable. Also, the skirt I modeled would be perfect for my wardrobe.”
8) Mikaela: “It feels good to be part of this show. I’m really happy. I also met so many new people. I love wearing my Tasaraita shirt and I also own several Marimekko party dresses.
9) Designers Mai Ohta and Noora Niinikoski and Mika Piirainen (bottom middle).
Shop for Marimekko
Last updated byon .