Marimekko Fabrics – How They’re Made

, , 16 Comments

Marimekko Fabrics
Take a glimpse at the fascinating process of creating Marimekko fabrics.

Fabric printing has been a core area of expertise at Marimekko from the very beginning and these skills are being developed continuously. The fabric printing works at Herttoniemi in Helsinki are a unique facility in terms of versatility and flexibility. In 2004, a new, state-of-the-art printing press was installed at the factory – a 12-color flat screen printing machine, including a rotary press, made by the Austrian company J. Zimmer Maschinenbau GmbH. Also, the stencil-making process was modernized with new digital equipment supplied by Lüscher AG of Switzerland. A new textile steamer and automatic color kitchen were installed at the factory in 2006. The refurbishments are part of a developmental project aimed at improving quality, making cost savings and increasing technical capabilities to facilitate product development.

Below are a collection of photos from the Marimekko printing works in Helsinki. (note: photos are not in any particular order).

*Update: take a look at how Marimekko fabrics were made.

Marimekko Fabrics

Pictured above are the Marimekko Unikko Green Fabric and Marimekko Kaiku Fabric. View more Marimekko Fabrics at our website.

Last updated by on .

16 Responses

1. Ansley

04/18/2008, 04:00 pm

Wow, how amazing to see these images. I have never seen a fabric printing factory before. Thank you!

2. a print a day

04/21/2008, 12:05 am

that is absolutely amazing!

i’m a designer myself, and i don’t often go to the factories to see the processes as they’re usually overseas. but it’s definitely awesome seeing photos of it!

3. Finland - Haaga Helia

04/23/2008, 10:24 am

So Interesting, do you think I can contact you to have further information ??

4. Andrea

05/15/2008, 08:36 pm

Thanks for posting this! it’s great to be able to see how some of my favorite fabrics are made…fascinating!

5. Natalie

05/16/2008, 02:24 am

This is awesome! Thank you for the glimpse into a textile printing factory… this is something I’ve always wanted to get in to myself!

6. monze

05/16/2008, 03:14 am

yes the making of the marimekko´s fabric is amazing, i recently had the chance to see the marimekkos work here in mexico in a museum i think that its awesome, and there i saw a video when they did this procces manually, they were amazing, they didnt need a machine to make their fabrics marimekko rules!!!

7. mariandreaisabel

05/17/2008, 07:21 am

Wow This is wonderful, that dream!
    I love Marimekko fabrics, I cant imagined the backstage of `their productions, I do stamped on my house but in a very handmade process, I would like to work there! Greetings from a designer in Chile.

(sorry my english)

8. nancy perez

06/01/2008, 01:23 am

i knew marimekko by a friend, i visited Franz Mayer Museum because an exhibition of Marimekko was displayed in there.
    i absolutely love it. everything was really beautiful and amazing.
    i`m going to study fashion design and Marimekko only encouraged more my love for fashion.
    to see this photos it is to complete my knowledge about it.

just a great blog! :)

9. Phyllis Stoddart

08/20/2008, 10:18 am

I am looking for a video on the process of making fabric to show at a Quilter’s Guild meeting and would appreciate any info you can furnish me. Thank you!

10. sandrar

09/10/2009, 05:23 pm

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

11. kerstin

08/17/2010, 11:48 pm

hey there,
    How wonderful! As a designer, and being out of the industry for a while, i was transported back to my early days in a design studio, slap bang in the centre of a printing factory. Looking at your photos , I could literaly smell the inks and hear the machinery again.regards from South Africa.

12. Fiaz Ahmad

06/26/2014, 06:32 am

Amazing i am related with textile industrie from 22 years
    i am a textile designer creation and design devolper
    i know that all process of engraving and latest engraving system
    inkjet , wax jet
    i am use photoshop , pixel studio and Rame set III for designing and seprations
    i want to do work with you

best regards